I recently created a how to lens for a Woot Challenge on Squidoo and in the two weeks since I made it, that single lens has gone through the roof. It has 14 pins on Pinterest, 116 Squidlikes, 12 Facebook likes and 63 comments, not to mention a number of SquidAngel blessings. It’s number 69 in Food and Cooking and is in the first tier already. That’s pretty awesome for a brand new lens! So how did I do it? There were a few factors at work.
1. Get on the front page. Obviously, in this case, being in the Woot Challenge helped, since the best lenses were featured on the front page of Squidoo and my lens did get quite a bit of attention. However, even outside of challenges, you can make sure your lens has a good chance of hitting the front page by following the tips below and making sure you have a SQUARE photo in the Intro module.
2. Talk to people. I have spent a lot of time the past couple of weeks leaving comments and Squidliking or blessing lenses. Squidoo is a social place and if you’re social, you can go places. Now, in case you think this only works on top lenses that already have a boost . . . my 30 Days, 30 Lenses lens is also getting a surprising amount of traffic just because I went to all kinds of 30 day challenge lenses and commented that I was doing something similar. People came and looked for the lens (I don’t spam with links in comments) and left comments, liked the lens or voted in polls. Most importantly, they clicked on the links to my new lenses and liked those, too!
3. Update it. I have been tweaking the lens every few days and then publishing it and pinging it on SquidUtils. Adding new products and modules is a good way to enhance your lens, but if you’re short on time, just changing things up a bit will work, too.
4. Backlink! I actually haven’t done too much backlinking lately, but I have included my cheese lens in a number of other lenses so it has internal backlinks from Squidoo.
5. Make sure you have an awesome topic. Make it a topic that people are interested in and watch the love pour in!